Sonar is short and sharp, a dynamic interplay between sight and sound. In the line of contemporary moving graphic arts, Sonar is geometric, abstract and consists of purely digitally generated images (and sounds). The minimalist, electronic soundtrack by Ryoji Ikeda is not illustrated by the image (nor vice versa): the excitement of this work is that picture and sounds seem to drink from the same spring.
The installation-version is completed with an invitation to the passer-by: ‘be a form in the dark’, referring to the graphics in the image which move to the music like ‘forms in the dark’.
Sonar was originally produced as an introduction to Bruno Pieters’ couture show presented in Paris, for which he won an award from L’Officiel Magazine as best couture presentation of 2001.
Previously on display at the following locations
- Argos Brussels (BE), Oct 5–Oct 12 2001
- Looking Glass Brussels (BE), Feb 13–Mar 27 2002
- Courtisane Festival Gent (BE), May 10–May 11 2002
- International Kansk Video Festival Kansk (RU), Aug 8–Aug 9 2002
- Limelight Filmhuis Kortrijk (BE), Nov 2–Nov 11 2002
- Perte de Signal Montreal (CA), Dec 6–Dec 22 2002
- Cultuurcentrum Strombeek (BE), Feb 14–Mar 9 2003
- Cinematheque San Francisco (US), Jun 12 2003
- Whitechapel Art Gallery London (GB), May 6 2004
- The Horse Hospital London (GB), Mar 5 2005
- Festival International du Film de La Rochelle La Rochelle (FR), Jul 1–Jul 11 2005
- Antimatter Film Festival Victoria (CA), Sep 16–Sep 24 2005
- Melkweg Amsterdam (NL), Jan 7 2007
- Sonar, MACBA Barcelona (ES), Jun 14–Jun 16 2007
- TodaysArt Kawasaki (JP), Nov 21 2015
- Kino Otok Izola (SI), Jun 7 2019
- LIMA Amsterdam (NL), Jun 3 2020
- LIMA Amsterdam (NL), Jun 4–Jul 2 2020